Established in 2014 and incorporated November 2015, IGRG's mission is to provide a structure to better promote socially responsible gambling across all gambling sectors in the UK.
This unique opportunity afforded by the collaboration of all trade association heads to form a single body, demonstrates industry's commitment to openly share information and continue to develop, improve and promote best social responsibility practices.
THE INDUSTRY CODE FOR SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE ADVERTISING
The Industry Group for Responsible Gambling (IGRG) today published the fifth edition of the Industry Code for Socially Responsible Advertising (‘the Industry Code’).
As foreshadowed in our press release of 13th December 2018, this new addition includes a number of important changes that will come into force on 1st August 2019. The 5th Edition may be downloaded here: Gambling Industry Code for Socially Responsible advertising
The Industry Code was first published in 2007 with second, third and fourth editions being published in 2016, 2017 and 2018 respectively. IGRG is committed to reviewing the Industry Code on a regular basis and it was recognised during our review last year that there had been a very significant increase in the amount of televised sport since 2007 and with it, the opportunity for TV betting advertising to proliferate. Against this background, it was felt that the gambling industry needed to respond positively and decisively to address public concerns, with the introduction of strong additional measures in the Fifth Edition of the Industry Code. The key ones may be summarised as follows:
- The previous exemption for pre-watershed betting advertising around ‘televised sports’ has been removed. The new pre-watershed exemption will be limited to the televised broadcast of live televised sports events and will not extend to repeats or highlights shows.
- But NO pre-watershed television betting advertising will be permitted during the period from five minutes before the sporting event begins until five minutes after it concludes. This includes breaks in play, for example, the half time period in a football match.
- During this ‘five-minute before until five-minute after’ period betting companies cannot sponsor the relevant television programme.
- These provisions extend to the linear streaming of a televised live sports broadcast on to mobile devices or similar.
- These pre-watershed restrictions do not apply to horseracing and greyhound racing.
IGRG ANNOUNCES ‘WHISTLE TO WHISTLE’ BAN ON GAMBLING ADVERTISING AROUND LIVE SPORT
The Industry Group for Responsible Gambling (‘IGRG’) has today announced major changes to its Gambling Industry Code for Socially Responsible Advertising (‘the code’). These changes have been brought forward as part of the code’s annual review process. The changes include a ‘whistle to whistle’ ban on all TV betting adverts during pre-watershed live sport, starting five minutes before the event begins, and ending five minutes after it finishes
The full press release can be found here