Industry Code for Socially Responsible Advertising
The Code was introduced in 2007. Its main purpose was to augment the primary advertising regulations which are overseen by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). Following a government review into all aspects of gambling advertising, the industry code was updated and expanded.
A copy of the current version can be downloaded here: Gambling Industry Code for Socially Responsible advertising.
It will be subject to periodic review and details of any future changes will be set out here. However, the second edition of the code only came into force on 20th February 2016 and it is therefore unlikely that any revisions will be made in the short term.
It has always been the case that when breaches of the code are identified that the company concerned has taken remedial action once it is brought to their attention.
However, if this was ever not the case then the industry will look to the Gambling Commission to encourage companies to be compliant. This is provided for in the Commission’s Licence Conditions and Codes of Practice.
In particular Ordinary Code provision 5.1.6 states that
"Licensees should also follow any relevant industry code of practice on advertising, notably the Gambling Industry Code for Socially Responsible Advertising."
Any possible breaches of the code should be reported to:
If possible please refer to the relevant specific code requirement and where the alleged breach was noticed. Any other details would, of course, be welcome. The IGRG will then consider the case before responding and placing a summary of the complaint and the decision on the website.
When doing this the complainant’s details will not be included.
Key requirements of the Industry Code: checklist
- Include reference to gambleaware.co.uk in all print and broadcast adverts (paragraph 26).
- Gambleaware.co.uk must be presented in accordance with the requirement in (paragraph 29).
- Television watershed – product restrictions in (paragraph 31).
- Television watershed – sign up offers and references to other products (paragraph 33).
- Responsible gambling message at the end of every television advert (paragraph 36).
- Television advertising - minimum size of text in (paragraph 37).
- Radio messaging – (paragraph 38).
- Adult only messaging – (paragraph 39).
- Online banner advertising click through – (paragraph 40).
- Sports’ sponsorships – restrictions (paragraph 41).
- Sponsorship of television programmes – inclusion of gambleaware.co.uk (paragraph 43).
- Social Media – messaging on operator profiles and corporate pages (paragraph 45).